How to Apply
The Chemistry Department only admits students annually into the PhD program each Fall semester. (We do not admit students into MS programs.)
Application Deadline for students entering in Fall 2018: Friday, December 15, 2017
Please note: ALL components of your application are to be received by our office by the application deadline date. If all components are not received, your application will not be reviewed.
Steps for Applying to the Chemistry Graduate Program
Please note: The online application portal is maintained by the Graduate School. Your application is submitted to the Graduate School and upon completion is forwarded to the Chemistry Department for review.
If you are a current Penn State, University Park, undergraduate student desiring to apply, please contact the Graduate Program Manager, Hilary Dellapenta (email@example.com) prior to submitting your application.
- Read the Graduate School’s Requirements for Graduate Admission
- Fill out the
- Pay the Graduate School application fee
- Applications without fee payment cannot be processed
- The application fee is non-refundable
- The Department offers no application fee waiver
4. Upload/request the following electronic documents:
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE General Test scores (GRE Subject Test is optional)
- Institutional code: 2660 PENNSYLVANIA ST U All campuses
- Department code: 0301 Chemistry, General
- TOEFL iBT scores (international applicants only)
- Department code: 62
- Note: As of November 10, 2014 the Graduate School requires all prospective students to upload an official transcript from all institutions of higher learning attended, both undergraduate and graduate, as part of the online application process.
English Proficiency Test
Please note: IELTS scores are not accepted by the Chemistry Department. Applicants must submit the TOEFL iBT scores.
- Who is required to submit a TOEFL iBT?
- If you received or will receive your undergraduate degree from an institution outside of the United States.
- Who is exempt from the TOEFL iBT?
- US citizen or permanent resident.
- Those who have a baccalauraeate or masters degree conferred (by May 2018) from an institution at the following: Australia, Belize, British Caribbean, British West Indies, Canada (except Quebec), England, Guyana, Jamaica, Republic of Ireland, Liberia, New Zealand, North Ireland, Scotland, United States, Wales.
- TOEFL iBT scores (Chemistry Department requirements)
- Overall minimum: 100
- Speaking minimum: 23
- Test scores may be no more than 2 years old
Applications to the program are reviewed by the Chemistry Graduate Admissions Committee on a rolling basis. All materials must be received before the application can be evaluated. You may check the status of your application by visiting the .